Friday, April 02, 2010

ProPokerTools gets a Makeover

ProPokerTools gets a Makeover

ProPokerTools has been around for a while now, and I've been humbled by the continued encouragement and support of the poker community. I've generally been proud of the work I've done on the site, and in general I would categorize it as a successful web app.

Except for one aspect - the, um, WEB part of it. Yeah.

Though undoubtedly useful, the design felt dated from day one. In all honesty, I had only a rudimentary understanding of how to design web interfaces when I began. Scratch that - I had NO IDEA how to design a web interface. Now I can confidently say that my web design skills have advanced from nonexistent to merely mediocre. Progress!

I hope you like the new implementation of the ProPokerTools Simulator. I certainly find it easier to use and nicer to look at, but then again, not everyone is like me. If you have any feedback, any feedback at all, please email support at propokertools dot com or leave a comment here.

Depending on how things go (and how donations/advertising works out), I may be hiring a friend who is actually GOOD at ui design to do a once over of the site. At the very least I should be able to get a decent logo out of him. Stay tuned.


New Front-end, Same Back-end Goodness

I'm using a more modern technology for serving up the ProPokerTools web pages, but the actual simulation code has not changed. I made this change for two reasons:

1) I actually know a few things about the newer framework, as I work with it in one of my day jobs.
2) I can implement changes to the site far, far more rapidly than before.

So far the switchover has proved (relatively) painless. Kudos to the folks at RimuHosting for keeping my servers running.

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger frenchfun said...

Sorry for having let this comment twice ( i formerly made a mistake by posting it in response to your 2006 message ;-) )

Hi and thanks for the very good job you have done. I use propokertools when i analyse after-match some tricky situations that occured. With your new program, there may be a mistake that appears only on internet explorer 7. It seems to be a well-known mistake that doesn't affect other IE or other browsers
Hereafter a french URL giving an example of that problem with the correction. It seems that a comma has been let at the end of a declaration. One impact of this problem : when i click on "more hands" it doesn't work. Before that, the downloading or the url http://propokertools.com/simulations says there is a problem

http://www.portfolio.spiderneo.com/detail/67/Erreur-JS-Identificateur-chaine-ou-nombre-attendu-IE7-.html

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger BuzzRK said...

I read on your twitter that you are working on parallelization of existing code.
I do good bit of parallel processing but without too much coding.
I am not sure what your programming language is but if you need help I can probabaly help.

BTW - when is the downloadable tool coming. I have PokerStove but I play lot of Omaha these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home